Monday, May 14, 2007

April 22, 2007

"If climbers used the word 'beta' the way most software houses do, we'd all be dead." - Unknown

I'm actually writing this entry on the 23rd as I was exhausted on the actual 22nd and only managed to read a bit before passing out. From here on out I'll use present tense. It snowed a few inches last night so I wore my plastics with over gaiters and was glad I did as I often post holed in the snow to a depth of up to 2 feet deep. It was a long day, perhaps not so much in terms of trekking time (~ 6 hours) but definently the longest day in terms of distance covered. We finally entered the Hunku valley which is entirely uninhabited except during the monsoon season when sherpas travel here to grazetheir herds. I must say that this is by far the most stunningly beautiful valley I've seen in the Himalaya, exceedingly barren, yet green, massive mountains rear their heads up on either side of the valley and its ends creating almost complete isolation, simply stunning. There are only two exits/entrances for this valley, 1 at south end and 1 at north end and both beome extremely dangerous if there is a heavy snowfall, you become essentially imprisoned in the valley, the only way out is by helicopter evacuation. Originally we were scheduled to spend a rest day at Panch pokari, but Kazi decided it best to forego the rest day and cross Ambulapcha La as soon as possible to minimize our risk of being caught. I whole heartedly agree, but that doesn't lessen the disappointment of leaving this valley so soon.
I spent 750 NR on a coke and a box of imitation Pringles. I'm not going to do the conversion for you as it is so absurd as to almost merit institutionalization (if you wish to do the math 1 USD = 65 NR). But before you commit me I do have some valid and one may even argue reasonable arguments for such an expenditure: 1) this was likely to be the last teashop I would see for at least 1 week and I desperately craved pringles, 2) the cost of 'importing' goods to this rediculously remote location (I thought I was seeing things when I first spotted the teahouse) dictate an outrageous cost and 3) I was supporting the local sherpa community (which consisted of this one individual), who knew when the next trekkers would pass by? I am pleased to say that I am extremely pleased with my 'pringles' purchase, the coke, not so much.
Our party now consists of 7 members, I hadn't realized but one of our porters returned home due to AMS, meaning that there was an extra load to carry and thus I was finally allowed to carry something more than my daypack, although this load consisted only of about 10-20 lbs of rope. Tomorrow I will carry my expedition pack instead and carry my share of the load, if I'll be permitted to.

No comments: